Thursday, April 23, 2009

M16


I devoted a post to the AK-47, which I had the chance to shoot when I was in Thailand, but what I didn't mention was that I also was able to to shoot an M16A1. Before I go into the actual shooting I will look a little at its history. The M16 takes a 5.56mm calibre round, it is gas operated ( I'll go into that later) and is made of metals and composite plastics. The M16 is currently the standard issue assault rifle used in the U.S Army and has been since 1964. Okay now to what you're here for, the rifle is reasonably light (4.0 Kg loaded) and is easy to handle, if not a little bit long, when firing single shots, the recoil was light and manageable and it didn't have the slight jolt you felt when firing the AK. When I switched to fully automatic I had a bit of experience with fully auto so I handled it much better, all round it was easier to handle in full auto then its friend the Kalashnikov, and i managed to keep most of the rounds on the cardboard cutouts body so I went back to the hotel a happy tourist.
Below, top to bottom: M16A1, M16A2, M4, M16A4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter